Association between Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and Suicide Attempts in Patients with Bipolar Disorder
Objective: The present study aimed to examine the association between ADHD and suicide attempts among adolescents with bipolar disorder.
Method: Participants were 168 adolescents who fulfilled DSM-IV-TR criteria for bipolar disorder. They were divided into 2 groups: The first group of patients with bipolar disorder with a history of suicide attempts (n = 84) and the second group without a history of suicide attempts (n = 84). ADHD and other variables were analyzed using a chi-squared test and logistic regression model.
Results: No significant difference was observed between the 2 groups in comorbidity of ADHD and other psychiatric disorders (P value > 0/05). In the logistic regression model, and after controlling for other factors, gender (OR = 3.9, CI 95%: 1.5-9.6) and history of sexual abuse (OR = 3.4; CI 95%: 1.06-11.3) were the only 2 factors associated with a history of suicide attempts.
Conclusion: No significant association was found between ADHD and suicide attempts in adolescents with bipolar disorder.
2. Birmaher B, Axelson D, Strober M, Gill MK, Valeri S, Chiappetta L, et al. Clinical course of children and adolescents with bipolar spectrum disorders. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2006;63(2):175-83.
3. Latalova K, Kamaradova D, Prasko J. Suicide in bipolar disorder: a review. Psychiatr Danub. 2014;26(2):108-14.
4. Joshi G, Wilens T. Comorbidity in pediatric bipolar disorder. Child and adolescent psychiatric clinics of North America. 2009;18(2):291-319.
5. Tillman R, Geller B, Bolhofner K, Craney JL, Williams M, Zimerman B. Ages of onset and rates of syndromal and subsyndromal comorbid DSM-IV diagnoses in a prepubertal and early adolescent bipolar disorder phenotype. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry. 2003;42(12):1486-93.
6. Impey M, Heun R. Completed suicide, ideation and attempt in attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Acta Psychiatr Scand.. 2012;125(2):93-102.
7. Nock MK, Green JG, Hwang I, McLaughlin KA, Sampson NA, Zaslavsky AM, et al. Prevalence, correlates, and treatment of lifetime suicidal behavior among adolescents: results from the National Comorbidity Survey Replication Adolescent Supplement. JAMA Psychiatry. 2013;70(3):300-10.
8. Simon GE, Hunkeler E, Fireman B, Lee JY, Savarino J. Risk of suicide attempt and suicide death in patients treated for bipolar disorder. Bipolar Disord. 2007;9(5):526-30.
9. Lan W-H, Bai Y-M, Hsu J-W, Huang K-L, Su T-P, Li C-T, et al. Comorbidity of ADHD and suicide attempts among adolescents and young adults with bipolar disorder: a nationwide longitudinal study. J Affect Disord. 2015 May 1;176:171-5.
10. Posner K, Oquendo MA, Gould M, Stanley B, Davies M. Columbia Classification Algorithm of Suicide Assessment (C-CASA): classification of suicidal events in the FDA’s pediatric suicidal risk analysis of antidepressants. Am J Psychiatry. 2007;164(7):1035-43.
11. Shahrivar Z, Kousha M, Moallemi S, Tehrani‐Doost M, Alaghband‐Rad J. The Reliability and Validity of Kiddie‐Schedule for Affective Disorders and Schizophrenia‐Present and Life‐time Version‐Persian Version. Child and Adolescent Mental Health. 2010;15(2):97-102.
12. Goldstein TR, Ha W, Axelson DA, Goldstein BI, Liao F, Gill MK, et al. Predictors of prospectively examined suicide attempts among youth with bipolar disorder. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2012;69(11):1113-22.
13. Algorta GP, Youngstrom EA, Frazier TW, Freeman AJ, Youngstrom JK, Findling RL. Suicidality in pediatric bipolar disorder: predictor or outcome of family processes and mixed mood presentation? Bipolar Disord. 2011;13(1):76-86.
14. Klonsky ED, May A. Rethinking impulsivity in suicide. Suicide Life Threat Behav. 2010;40(6):612-9.
15. Dvorak RD, Lamis DA, Malone PS. Alcohol use, depressive symptoms, and impulsivity as risk factors for suicide proneness among college students. J Affect Disord. 2013 Jul;149(1-3):326-34.
16. Eaton DK, Kann L, Kinchen S, Shanklin S, Flint KH, Hawkins J, et al. Youth risk behavior surveillance—United States, 2011. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report: Surveillance Summaries. 2012;61(4):1-162.
17. Hauser M, Galling B, Correll CU. Suicidal ideation and suicide attempts in children and adolescents with bipolar disorder: a systematic review of prevalence and incidence rates, correlates, and targeted interventions. Bipolar Disord. 2013;15(5):507-23
18. Leverich GS, McElroy SL, Suppes T, Keck Jr PE, Denicoff KD, Nolen WA, et al. Early physical and sexual abuse associated with an adverse course of bipolar illness. Biol Psychiatry. 2002 15;51(4):288-97.
19. Goldstein TR, Birmaher B, Axelson D, Ryan ND, Strober MA, Gill MK, et al. History of suicide attempts in pediatric bipolar disorder: factors associated with increased risk. Bipolar Disord. 2005;7(6):525-35.