Prediction of Suicide Attempts Using the Box-Jenkins Model
Objective: Suicide is a preventable social harm in the field of health. The present study aimed to design a prediction model for suicide incidence based on Box-Jenkins model in Ilam province.
Method: Using a retrospective method all completed and attempted suicide data were collected during 1993-2013. Then, using the autoregressive integrated moving average (ARIMA) model, the time series analysis of the Box-Jenkins model was conducted to predict suicide status in the coming years (2014-2015).
Results: According to the actual results obtained from the suicide data in 2014, a total of 1078 suicides were recorded and compared to the predicted results, according to the fitted model of the time series, which showed the selected model predicted 931 suicide cases, showing 86% accuracy of prediction. The series’ prediction indicated 931 suicides in 2014 with a negative growth rate of 25.3% compared to 2013 and 969 suicide cases in 2015 with a positive growth rate of 3.93% compared to 2014.
Conclusion: The results of this study showed the designed model provides a high diagnostic value to predict suicide rates. These types of models can help to predict suicide in future and plan to control and prevent suicide attempts.
2. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Definitions: Self-directed Violence. https://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/suicide/definitions.html. Accessed April 21, 2020.
3. World Health Organization (WHO). Suicide. Fact sheet. https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/suicide. Accessed September 2019.
4. World Health Organization. Mental and Behavioural Disorders Team. (1999). Figures and facts about suicide. World Health Organization. https://apps.who.int/iris/handle/10665/66097.
5. Heidari M, Khanjani N, Haghdoost A. Silent Change of Suicide in the West of Iran (Kermanshah): Joinpoint Regression Analysis. Iran Red Crescent Med J. 2017;19(4):e43061.
6. Kiadaliri AA, Saadat S, Shahnavazi H, Haghparast-Bidgoli H. Overall, gender and social inequalities in suicide mortality in Iran, 2006-2010: a time trend province-level study. BMJ Open. 2014;4(8):e005227.
7. Värnik P. Suicide in the world. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2012;9(3):760-71.
8. Hajebi A, Ahmadzad-Asl M, Davoudi F, Ghayyomi R. Trend of Suicide in Iran During 2009 to 2012: Epidemiological Evidences from National Suicide Registration. Iran J Psychiatry Behav Sci. 2016;10(4):e4398.
9. Niromand HA, Bozorgnia SA. The Analysis Of Time Series An Introduction:Ferdowsi University of Mashahad; 2010.
10. Bahadori Monfared A, Soori H, Mehrabi Y, Rahmati Roudsar M, Esmaili A, Salehi M, et al. A model for prediction of on the rate of mortality due to road traffic accidents in Iran. Res Med. 2013;36(5):7-11.
11. Box GEP, Jenkins GM, Reinsel GC, Ljung,GM . Time Series Analysis: Forecasting and Control: Wiley and Sons Inc., Hoboken, New Jersey; 2015.
12. Liu L, Luan RS, Yin F, Zhu XP, Lü Q. Predicting the incidence of hand, foot and mouth disease in Sichuan province, China using the ARIMA model. Epidemiol Infect. 2016;144(1):144-51.
13. Liu Q, Liu X, Jiang B, Yang W. Forecasting incidence of hemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome in China using ARIMA model. BMC Infect Dis. 2011;11:218.
14. Azizpour Y, Sayehmiri K, Asadollahi K, Kaikhavani S, Bagheri M. Epidemiological study of suicide by physical methods between 1993 and 2013 in Ilam province, Iran. BMC Psychiatry. 2017;17(1):304.
15. Ghahraman N, GharaKhany A. Evaluation of random time series models for estimating evaporation pan (Case Study: Shiraz station). Water Res. 2011;25(1):75-81.
16. Veisipour H, Masompour-samakosh J, Sahneh B, Yousefi Y. Forecasts analysis of process temperature and precipitation using time series models (ARIMA) (case study: the city of Kermanshah). Geography. 2010;4(12):63-77.
17. Spenassato D, Trierweiller AC, Bornia AC, Frazzon LS. Dow Jones Sustainability Index: Use of forecasting models to assist decision making. Espacios. 2015;36(11):21.
18. Ahmadi AR, Khazaei H, Sadeghi-Bazargani H, Mohammadi R. Epidemiology textbook of prevalent diseases in Iran . Non communicable disease. supervised by Parvin Yavari. selfimmolation. 2. Tehran: Gapnashr.; 2015. p. 229-30.
19. Khorami M, Bozorgnia A. Time series analysis with MINITAB software 14: Sokhangostar; 2007.
20. Hyndman RJ, Athanasopoulos G. Forecasting: principles and practice: OTexts; 2018.
21. Pridemore WA, Snowden AJ. Reduction in Suicide Mortality Following a New National Alcohol Policy in Slovenia: An Interrupted Time-Series Analysis. Am J Public Health. 2009;99(5):915–20.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.