Prevalence of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder among Firefighters in Iran: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis
Objective: Firefighters are exposed to many different chemicals and physical hazards and experience a significant number of accidents and injuries. They are exposed to high-risk of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD). The purpose of this study was to determine the prevalence of PTSD among Iranian firefighters.
Method: This was a systematic review and meta-analysis. Valid Persian and English keywords were searched in data resources, including SID, Magiran, Irandoc, Google Scholar, PubMed, Scopus, and Web of Science to retrieve articles on the prevalence of PTSD among Iranian firefighters. The STROBE checklist was used to assess the quality of the articles. Heterogeneity among the studies was assessed by I2 index. The data were analyzed using Stata14 software.
Results: Of the 316 articles selected in the initial search, 3 articles the inclusion criteria and were used for the meta-analysis. A total of 274 firefighters were studied. The prevalence of PTSD was 23.17% among Iranian firefighters (I2 = 92.4%, 95% CI = 6.71-39.62, p < 0.001).
Conclusion: The prevalence of PTSD is among Iranian firefighters relatively high and has been on the rise over the recent years.
2. Jonsson A, Segesten K. Guilt, shame and need for a container: a study of post-traumatic stress among ambulance personnel. Accid Emerg Nurs. 2004;12(4):215-23.
3. Haas NS, Gochfeld M, Robson MG, Wartenberg D. Latent health effects in firefighters. Int J Occup Environ Health. 2003;9(2):95-103.
4. Sun X, Li X, Huang J, An Y. Prevalence and predictors of PTSD, depression and posttraumatic growth among Chinese firefighters. Arch Psychiatr Nurs. 2020;34(1):14-8.
5. Chen Y-S, Chen M-C, Chou FH-C, Sun F-C, Chen P-C, Tsai K-Y, et al. The relationship between quality of life and posttraumatic stress disorder or major depression for firefighters in Kaohsiung, Taiwan. Quality of life research. 2007;16(8):1289-97.
6. Heinrichs M, Wagner D, Schoch W, Soravia LM, Hellhammer DH, Ehlert U. Predicting posttraumatic stress symptoms from pretraumatic risk factors: a 2-year prospective follow-up study in firefighters. Am J Psychiatry. 2005;162(12):2276-86.
7. Mahmoudi gharaei J, Mohammadi MR, Yasami MT, Ali Rezaei N, Naderi F, Moftakhari O. The effects of a short-Term cognitive behavioral group Intervention on bam earthquake related PTSD symptoms in adolescents. Iranian journal of psychiatry. 2009; 4(2)
8. Kim JE, Dager SR, Jeong HS, Ma J, Park S, Kim J, et al. Firefighters, posttraumatic stress disorder, and barriers to treatment: Results from a nationwide total population survey. PLoS One. 2018;13(1):e0190630.
9. Joshaghani N, Yasami MT, Mohammadi MR, Mahmoudi-Gharaei J, Naderi F. Group cognitive-behavior therapy and supportive art and sport interventions on Bam earthquake related post traumatic stress symptoms in children: A field trial. Iranian Journal of Psychiatry. 2009:85-91.
10. Huang J, Wang X, Li W, An Y. The relationship between conscientiousness and posttraumatic stress disorder among young Chinese firefighters: The mediating effect of perceived social support. Psychiatry Res. 2019;273:450-5.
11. Noor N, Pao C, Dragomir-Davis M, Tran J, Arbona C. PTSD symptoms and suicidal ideation in US female firefighters. Occup Med (Lond). 2019;69(8-9):577-85.
12. Mithoefer MC, Mithoefer AT, Feduccia AA, Jerome L, Wagner M, Wymer J, et al. 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA)-assisted psychotherapy for post-traumatic stress disorder in military veterans, firefighters, and police officers: a randomised, double-blind, dose-response, phase 2 clinical trial. Lancet Psychiatry. 2018;5(6):486-97.
13. Boffa JW, Stanley IH, Smith LJ, Mathes BM, Tran JK, Buser SJ, et al. Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Symptoms and Suicide Risk in Male Firefighters: The Mediating Role of Anxiety Sensitivity. J Nerv Ment Dis. 2018;206(3):179-86.
14. Alghamdi M, Hunt N, Thomas S. Prevalence rate of PTSD, depression and anxiety symptoms among Saudi firefighters. J Trauma Stress Disord Treat. 2016;6(1):1-6.
15. Kim JI, Park H, Kim JH. Alcohol use disorders and insomnia mediate the association between PTSD symptoms and suicidal ideation in Korean firefighters. Depress Anxiety. 2018;35(11):1095-103.
16. Stanley IH, Boffa JW, Tran JK, Schmidt NB, Joiner TE, Vujanovic AA. Posttraumatic stress disorder symptoms and mindfulness facets in relation to suicide risk among firefighters. J Clin Psychol. 2019;75(4):696-709.
17. Kim MJ, Jeong Y, Choi YS, Seo AR, Ha Y, Seo M, et al. The Association of the Exposure to Work-Related Traumatic Events and Work Limitations among Firefighters: A Cross-Sectional Study. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2019;16(5):756.
18. Bartlett BA, Gallagher MW, Tran JK, Vujanovic AA. Military Veteran Status and Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Symptomatology Among Urban Firefighters: The Moderating Role of Emotion Regulation Difficulties. J Nerv Ment Dis. 2019;207(4):224-31.
19. Psarros C, Theleritis C, Kokras N, Lyrakos D, Koborozos A, Kakabakou O, et al. Personality characteristics and individual factors associated with PTSD in firefighters one month after extended wildfires. Nord J Psychiatry. 2018;72(1):17-23.
20. Milligan-Saville J, Choi I, Deady M, Scott P, Tan L, Calvo RA, et al. The impact of trauma exposure on the development of PTSD and psychological distress in a volunteer fire service. Psychiatry Res. 2018;270:1110-5.
21. Golitaleb M, Mozafari A, Yousefi K, Harorani M, Sahebi A. Post-traumatic Stress Disorder in Emergency Medical Services Personnel in Iran: A Letter to the Editor. Iran J Psychiatry Behav Sci.14(1).
22. Sahebi A, Jahangiri K, Sohrabizadeh S, Golitaleb M. Prevalence of workplace violence types against personnel of emergency medical services in Iran: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Iranian journal of psychiatry. 2019 Oct;14(4):325.
23. Ahmadi I, Qavam SM, Sayehmiri K, Golitaleb M, Tavan H. Investigating the Efficiency of D-Dimer Test in Diagnosis of Aortic Dissection: A Systematic Study and Meta-Analysis. International Cardiovascular Research Journal. 2018 Dec 1;12(4).
24. Yousefi K, Larijani HA, Golitaleb M, Sahebi A. Knowledge, attitude and performance associated with disaster preparedness in Iranian nurses: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Advanced journal of emergency medicine. 2019;3(4).
25. Agin K, Mohammadbaygi A, Mostafazade B. Comparative Study the rate of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and Acute Respiratory System Symptoms among Firefighters and Journalist on the scene of incident of the catastrophic fire old Plasco trad center building: Iran–Tehran 2017. Research in Medicine. 2018;42(4):230-5.[persian]
26. Narimani M ZA, Basharpoor S. Prevalence of posttraumatic stress disorder in hospital emergency nurses and fire department workers in uremia city. Journal of Research in Behavioural Sciences. 2010;8(1).[persian]
27. Farnoush F, Mehtaj G K, Hosseini Ali Prevalence of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and its Relationship with Job Burnout among firfighters of tehran. Third National Conference on Urban Fire Service & Safety Organization of Tehran Municipality's fire safety(2017). [persian]
28. Simons M. Metakognitive und andere kognitiv-verhaltenstherapeutische Verfahren bei posttraumatischer Belastungsstörung. Verhaltenstherapie. 2010;20(2):86-92.
29. Bahji A, Forsyth A, Groll D, Hawken ER. Efficacy of 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA)-assisted psychotherapy for posttraumatic stress disorder: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2020;96:109735.
30. Salleh MNBM, Ismail HB, Yusoff HBM. Prevalence and Predictors for PTSD among Firefighters. A Systematic Review. International Journal of Public Health Research. 2020;10(1).
31. Motreff Y, Baubet T, Pirard P, Rabet G, Petitclerc M, Stene LE, et al. Factors associated with PTSD and partial PTSD among first responders following the Paris terror attacks in November 2015. J Psychiatr Res. 2020;121:143-50.
32. Goudarzi MA. The validity and reliability of the scale of post-traumatic stress Mississippi (Mississippi scale). J Psychol. 2003;7(2):153-78. [Persian]
33. Tomaka J, Magoc D, Morales‐Monks SM, Reyes AC. Posttraumatic stress symptoms and alcohol‐related outcomes among municipal firefighters. Journal of Traumatic Stress. 2017 Aug;30(4):416-24.
34. Berninger A, Webber MP, Niles JK, Gustave J, Lee R, Cohen HW, et al. Longitudinal study of probable post-traumatic stress disorder in firefighters exposed to the World Trade Center disaster. Am J Ind Med. 2010;53(12):1177-85.
35. Abbasi Z, Mahaki B, Saberi HR. Prevalence of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) among firefighters of Isfahan. Occupational Medicine Quarterly Journal. 2016 Sep 10;8(2):24-36. [persian]
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.