Evaluation of Suicide Attempt due to Drug Poisoning in a 7 -Year -Old Girl: A Case Report
Introduction: Suicidal behavior is a worrying issue in children and is a very important indicator of emotional distress in children. Suicide is uncommon in children before puberty.
Case Report: Here, a case of a 7-year-old girl who committed suicide by drug poisoning was reported. The child’s behavior was assessed using a child behavior checklist (CBCL), in which aggressive behavioral problem was the most important. Her mother had a history of suicide attempts, generalized anxiety, and major depressive disorder over the past year, and her father was a drug abuser.
Conclusion: Mental disorders in parents and tensions in the family may be associated with behavioral-emotional difficulties in children and it can lead to dangerous behaviors such as suicide attempts. It is most important to describe the factors that lead to suicide attempt among children and intervention that my help these children.
2. Sinyor M, Tse R, Pirkis J. Global trends in suicide epidemiology. Curr Opin Psychiatry. 2017;30(1):1-6.
3. Bridge JA, Asti L, Horowitz LM, Greenhouse JB, Fontanella CA, Sheftall AH, et al. Suicide Trends Among Elementary School-Aged Children in the United States From 1993 to 2012. JAMA Pediatr. 2015;169(7):673-7.
4. Ghaffari M, Ahmadi A, Abedi MR, Fatehizade M, Baghban I. Impulsivity, substance abuse, and family/friends history of suicide attempts in university students with and without suicidal ideation. Iranian journal of psychiatry and behavioral sciences. 2011;5(2):99-105.
5. Plemmons G, Hall M, Doupnik S, Gay J, Brown C, Browning W, et al. Hospitalization for Suicide Ideation or Attempt: 2008-2015. Pediatrics. 2018;141(6).
6. In-Albon T, Burli M, Ruf C, Schmid M. Non-suicidal self-injury and emotion regulation: a review on facial emotion recognition and facial mimicry. Child Adolesc Psychiatry Ment Health. 2013;7(1):5.
7. Mohammadi MR, Ahmadi N, Salmanian M, Asadian-Koohestani F, Ghanizadeh A, Alavi A, et al. Psychiatric Disorders in Iranian Children and Adolescents. Iran J Psychiatry. 2016;11(2):87-98.
8. Tehrani-Doost M, Shahrivar Z, Pakbaz B, Rezaie A, Ahmadi F. Normative data and psychometric properties of the child behavior checklist and teacher rating form in an Iranian community sample. Iranian journal of pediatrics. 2011;21(3):331-42.
9. Nomura Y, Warner V, Wickramaratne P. Parents concordant for major depressive disorder and the effect of psychopathology in offspring. Psychol Med. 2001;31(7):1211-22.
10. Goodman SH, Rouse MH, Connell AM, Broth MR, Hall CM, Heyward D. Maternal depression and child psychopathology: a meta-analytic review. Clin Child Fam Psychol Rev. 2011;14(1):1-27.
11. Miotto P, De Coppi M, Frezza M, Petretto D, Masala C, Preti A. Suicidal ideation and aggressiveness in school-aged youths. Psychiatry Res. 2003;120(3):247-55.
12. Psychogiou L, Moberly NJ, Parry E, Nath S, Kallitsoglou A, Russell G. Parental depressive symptoms, children’s emotional and behavioural problems, and parents’ expressed emotion—Critical and positive comments. PloS one. 2017;12(10).
13. Hornby G, Witte C. Follow‐up study of ex‐students of a residential school for children with emotional and behavioural difficulties in New Zealand. Emotional and Behavioural Difficulties. 2008;13(2):79-93.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.