Sleep Quality and Related Determinants among Stroke Patients: A Cross-Sectional Study
Objective: Effective rehabilitation and better quality of life among stroke patients are functions of several factors such as quality and pattern of sleep. The present study aimed to evaluate sleep quality and related determinants in such patients.
Method: The present cross-sectional study was performed from October to December 2019 among stroke patients who were admitted to Sina Hospital, Hamadan, Iran. We used the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index (PSQI) questionnaire to determine sleep quality in these patients. Significant determinants of the global score of PSQI were identified via multivariable linear regression.
Results: A total of 97 stroke patients (age 67±79 years, 55.7% male) were enrolled into the study. Prevalence of poor sleep was 0.84 (95% CI: 0.75, 0.91) in stroke patients. Patients with nervous tension and those with surgical treatment and with Non-hemorrhagic CT scan had a predicted increase of 1.65, 2.91 and 3.25 in the mean of the global PSQI score (P ≤ 0.05), respectively.
Conclusion: Nervous tension, treatment method, results of CT scan and cardiac problems may be associated with post-stroke sleep disorder.
2. Haacke C, Althaus A, Spottke A, Siebert U, Back T, Dodel R. Long-term outcome after stroke: evaluating health-related quality of life using utility measurements. Stroke. 2006;37(1):193-8.
3. Gokkaya NK, Aras MD, Cakci A. Health-related quality of life of Turkish stroke survivors. Int J Rehabil Res. 2005;28(3):229-35.
4. Leegaard OF. Diffuse cerebral symptoms in convalescents from cerebral infarction and myocardial infarction. Acta Neurol Scand. 1983;67(6):348-55.
5. Kim BJ, Lee S-H, Shin C-W, Ryu W-S, Kim CK, Yoon B-W. Ischemic stroke during sleep: its association with worse early functional outcome. Stroke. 2011;42(7):1901-06.
6. Carlson BW, Neelon VJ, Carlson JR, Hartman M, Dogra S. Cerebrovascular disease and patterns of cerebral oxygenation during sleep in elders. Biol Res Nurs. 2009;10(4):307-17.
7. Wallace DM, Ramos AR, Rundek T. Sleep disorders and stroke. Int J Stroke. 2012;7(3):231-42.
8. Leppävuori A, Pohjasvaara T, Vataja R, Kaste M, Erkinjuntti T. Insomnia in ischemic stroke patients. Cerebrovasc Dis. 2002;14(2):90-7.
9. Ramar K, Surani S. The relationship between sleep disorders and stroke. Postgrad Med. 2010;122(6):145-53.
10. Bassetti CL, Aldrich MS. Sleep electroencephalogram changes in acute hemispheric stroke. Sleep Med. 2001;2(3):185-94.
11. Broughton R, Baron R. Sleep patterns in the intensive care unit and on the ward after acute myocardial infarction. Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol. 1978;45(3):348-60.
12. Buysse DJ, Reynolds CF, 3rd, Monk TH, Berman SR, Kupfer DJ. The Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index: a new instrument for psychiatric practice and research. Psychiatry Res. 1989;28(2):193-213.
13. Malek M, Halvani G, Fallah H. A study of the relationship between the Pittsburgh sleep quality index and road accidents among truck drivers. tkj. 2011;3(1):14-20.
14. Naftel DC. Do different investigators sometimes produce different multivariable equations from the same data? J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1994;107(6):1528-9.
15. Zhang S, Chang C, Zhang J, Song B, Fang H, Xu Y. Correlation analysis of sleep quality and youth ischemic stroke. Behav Neurol. 2014;2014:246841.
16. Oliveira GDP, Vago ERL, Prado GFD, Coelho FMS. The critical influence of nocturnal breathing complaints on the quality of sleep after stroke: the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index and STOP-BANG. Arq Neuropsiquiatr. 2017;75(11):785-8.
17. Karaca B. Factors Affecting Poststroke Sleep Disorders. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2016;25(3):727-32.
18. Hofmeijer J, van Kaam R, Vermeer SE, van Putten M. Severely Disturbed Sleep in Patients With Acute Ischemic Stroke on Stroke Units: A Pilot Study. Front Neurol. 2019;10:1109.
19. Ferre A, Ribó M, Rodríguez-Luna D, Romero O, Sampol G, Molina CA, et al. Strokes and their relationship with sleep and sleep disorders. Neurologia. 2013;28(2):103-18.
20. Wells RD, Day RC, Carney RM, Freedland KE, Duntley SP. Depression predicts self-reported sleep quality in patients with obstructive sleep apnea. Psychosom Med. 2004;66(5):692-7.
21. Da Rocha PC, Barroso MT, Dantas AA, Melo LP, Campos TF. Predictive factors of subjective sleep quality and insomnia complaint in patients with stroke: implications for clinical practice. An Acad Bras Cienc. 2013;85(3):1197-206.
22. Purani H, Friedrichsen S, Allen AM. Sleep quality in cigarette smokers: Associations with smoking-related outcomes and exercise. Addict Behav. 2019;90:71-6.
23. Liu JT, Lee IH, Wang CH, Chen KC, Lee CI, Yang YK. Cigarette smoking might impair memory and sleep quality. J Formos Med Assoc. 2013;112(5):287-90.
|Issue||Vol 17 No 1 (2022)|
|Risk Factors Sleep Disorder Stroke|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|