Mental Health Care for Medical Staff in Iran during the COVID-19 Pandemic; Different Performance in Alborz Province
Objective: The mental health status of health care workers (HCWs) related to COVID-19 is of great importance. By designing cross sectional studies, we evaluated disorders related to the mental health of these health workers. Short-term and long-term diagnostic and treatment interventions are other components of this care protocol.
Method: This study includes a collection of studies and interventions in the form of analytical cross sectional study at the level of educational hospitals of Alborz University of Medical Sciences. In this study, HCWs were evaluated for mental health disorders in quantitative and qualitative studies. Depression, Anxiety and Stress Scales (DAS), Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) questionnaires, and Stigma questionnaire in quantitative studies with thematic approach in qualitative study were used to evaluate and analyze the data.
Conclusion: A series of coherent measures have been taken to prevent, screen, and treat mental healt
disorders of the staff who provide services to patients with COVID-19. We hope the results of these measures will be used as a guide for other professionals and academic and hospital centers in similar conditions to effectively control the disease and improve the mental health of HCWs.
2. Parkitny L, McAuley J. The depression anxiety stress scale (DASS). J Physiother. 2010;56(3):204.
3. Lovibond PF, Lovibond SH. The structure of negative emotional states: comparison of the Depression Anxiety Stress Scales (DASS) with the Beck Depression and Anxiety Inventories. Behav Res Ther. 1995;33(3):335-43.
4. ASGHARI MM, Saed F, Dibajnia P, Zangeneh J. A preliminary validation of the depression, anxiety and stress scales (DASS) in non-clinical sample. 2008.
5. Hansen M, Andersen TE, Armour C, Elklit A, Palic S, Mackrill T. PTSD-8: A Short PTSD Inventory. Clin Pract Epidemiol Ment Health. 2010;6:101-8.
6. Andersen TE, Hansen M, Ravn SL, Seehuus R, Nielsen M, Vaegter HB. Validation of the PTSD-8 Scale in Chronic Pain Patients. Pain Med. 2018;19(7):1365-72.
7. Vaughn-Sandler V, Sherman C, Aronsohn A, Volk ML. Consequences of perceived stigma among patients with cirrhosis. Dig Dis Sci. 2014; 59(3):681-6.
8. Genberg BL, Hlavka Z, Konda KA, Maman S, Chariyalertsak S, Chingono A, et al. A comparison of HIV/AIDS-related stigma in four countries: negative attitudes and perceived acts of discrimination towards people living with HIV/AIDS. Soc Sci Med. 2009;68(12):2279-87.
9. Chen Q, Liang M, Li Y, Guo J, Fei D, Wang L, et al. Mental health care for medical staff in China during the COVID-19 outbreak. Lancet Psychiatry. 2020;7(4):e15-e6.
10. Zandifar A, Badrfam R. Fighting COVID-19 in Iran; Economic Challenges Ahead. Arch Iran Med. 2020;23(4):284.
11. Badrfam R, Zandifar A. Coronavirus disease 2019 in Iran: the need for more attention to primary health care. Public Health. 2020;182:187.
12. Zandifar A, Badrfam R. Iranian mental health during the COVID-19 epidemic. Asian J Psychiatr. 2020;51:101990.
13. Badrfam R, Zandifar A. Stigma Over COVID-19; New Conception Beyond Individual Sense. Arch Med Res. 2020.
14. Badrfam R, Zandifar A. COVID-19 and mental health: An Iranian perspective. Asian J Psychiatr. 2020;54:102266.
15. Shariati B, Eftekhar Ardebili M, Shalbafan M. Working in the emergency and inpatient COVID-19 special wards: A different experience for Iranian psychiatric trainees amid the outbreak. Asian J Psychiatr. 2020;51:102157.
16. Mohammadi MR, Khaleghi A, Badrfam R, Alavi SS, Zandifar A, Ahmadi A, et al. Social capital in general population of Tehran province in comparison with other provinces of Iran. Journal of Iranian Medical Council. 2019;2(3):26-34.
17. Badrfam R, Zandifar A, Arbabi M. Mental Health of Medical Workers in COVID-19 Pandemic: Restrictions and Barriers. J Res Health Sci. 2020;20(2) .
18. Hajian Motlagh N, Zandifar A, Mohammadi MR, Badrfam R, Ahmadi N, Khaleghi A, et al. Mental Health Profile in the Population of 6 to 18 Years Old in Alborz Province, Iran. Journal of Iranian Medical Council. 2019;2(3):10-9.
19. Islamic Republic of Iran News Agency,NEWS,22 March,2020.Available from https://en.irna.ir/news/83723846/Official-COVID-19-death-toll-hits-1-685-in-Iran.
20. Pereira-Sanchez V, Adiukwu F, El Hayek S, Bytyçi DG, Gonzalez-Diaz JM, Kundadak GK, et al. COVID-19 effect on mental health: patients and workforce. Lancet Psychiatry. 2020;7(6):e29-e30.
21. Zandifar A BR, et al. CORONAVIRUS(Health,Diagnostic and Clinical aspects of COVID-19) : Ebnesina; 2020.
22. Zandifar A, Badrfam R. COVID-19: Considering the prevalence of schizophrenia in the coming decades. Psychiatry Res. 2020;288:112982.
Copyright (c) 2020 Iranian Journal of Psychiatry
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.