Smoking among High School Students in Iran: A Meta-Analysis Study
Objective: Cigarette smoking is an important and preventable risk factor, especially for adolescents and high school students. This issue has become one of the challenges for health system. Thus, the present study aimed to investigate the prevalence of smoking among Iranian high school students.
Method: This systematic review and meta-analysis study was done by searching PubMed, Scopus, Web Science (WOS), Science Direct, SID, and Google Scholar using the following keywords: “student” and “smoking” from 2000 to March 2018. After initial and critical appraisal, data were entered into a checklist and analyzed by a comprehensive meta-analysis software.
Results: The prevalence of smoking was 7.9% by combining the results of 49 articles. Males and females had 10.6% and 4.5% smoking prevalence, respectively. The overall prevalence of smoking was higher in northern areas in Iran (22.4%). Males in the northern (22.4%) and females in western regions (5.3%) were more smokers. There was a significant relationship between the prevalence of smoking with the year of publication, sample size, and age (P < 0.001).
Conclusion: In this study, Students' tendency to smoke was different in various regions of Iran, and had a high rate (7.9%). This figure indicates the necessity for planning some coherent educational programs for the public.
2. Jodalli PS, Panchmal GS. Socioeconomic Correlates and Key Aspects of Tobacco Surveillance Using Global Adult Tobacco Survey Among College Students of Mangaluru, South India. Cureus. 2019;11(2):e4115.
3. World Health Organization. WHO global report on trends in prevalence of tobacco smoking 2015. World Health Organization; 2015:1. Available at: https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/156262/9789241564922_eng.pdf
4. Goodchild M, Nargis N, Tursan d'Espaignet E. Global economic cost of smoking-attributable diseases. Tob Control. 2018;27(1):58-64.
5. Arrazola RA, Seidenberg AB, Ahluwalia IB. Percentage of current tobacco smoking students receiving help or advice to quit: Evidence from the Global Youth Tobacco Survey, 56 countries, 2012-2015. Tob Prev Cessat. 2019;5:5.
6. Ghodsi H, Mokhtari Lake N, Asiri S, Kazem Nezhad Leili E. Prevalence and correlates of cigarette smoking among male students of Guilan University of Medical Sciences. J Holist Nurs Midwifery. 2012;22(1):38-43.
7. Mohammadpoorasl A, Bahari A, Marin S, Hajizadeh M. Obscenity of Cigarette and Hookah Smoking in Iranian Adolescents: A Longitudinal School-based Study. Int J Prev Med. 2019; 10:47.
8. Ramzankhani A, Rezaie M, Osmani F, Javanmardi E, Niknami S. Relationship between Health Literacy Skills and Adoption of Preventive Smoking Behaviors among University Students. SJIMU. 2019;27(2):11-20.
9. Ataeiasl M, Sarbakhsh P, Dadashzadeh H, Augner C, Anbarlouei M, Mohammadpoorasl A. Relationship between happiness and tobacco smoking among high school students. Epidemiol Health. 2018;40:e2018009.
10. Schauer GL, Agaku IT, King BA, Malarcher AM. Health care provider advice for adolescent tobacco use: results from the 2011 National Youth Tobacco Survey. Pediatrics. 2014 Sep 1;134(3):446-55.
11. Chong C, Rahman A, Loonat K, Sagar RC, Selinger CP. Current smoking habits in British IBD patients in the age of e-cigarettes. BMJ Open Gastroenterol. 2019;6(1):e000309.
12. Aridgides DS, Mellinger DL, Armstrong DA, Hazlett HF, Dessaint JA, Hampton TH, et al. Functional and metabolic impairment in cigarette smoke-exposed macrophages is tied to oxidative stress. Sci Rep. 2019;9(1):9624.
13. Kiriyama H, Kaneko H, Itoh H, Yoshida Y, Nakanishi K, Mizuno Y, et al. Effect of cigarette smoking on carotid artery atherosclerosis: a community-based cohort study. Heart Vessels. 2020;35(1):22-9.
14. Santucci C, Bosetti C, Peveri G, Liu X, Bagnardi V, Specchia C, et al. Dose-risk relationships between cigarette smoking and ovarian cancer histotypes: a comprehensive meta-analysis. Cancer Causes Control. 2019;30(9):1023-32.
15. Chaman R, Khosravi A, Sajedinejad S, Nazemi S, Fereidoon Mohasseli K, Valizade B, et al. Smoking and Its Related Factors Among Iranian High School Students. Iran J Psychiatry Behav Sci. 2015;9(4):e1583.
16. Cunha SB, Araújo RC, Oliveira JV, Mola R, Pitangui AC. Factors associated with current tobacco use among adolescents and young students. J. pediatr.(Rio J.). 2020:447-55.
17. Nosratabadi M, Halvaiepour Z, Abootorabi SH. Craving for cigarette smoking among male adolescents in Isfahan based on mindfulness and emotional self-regulation. Int J Adolesc Med Health. 2017;30(6).
18. Azagba S, Baskerville NB, Minaker L. A comparison of adolescent smoking initiation measures on predicting future smoking behavior. Prev Med Rep. 2015; 2:174-7.
19. Roohafza H, Omidi R, Alinia T, Heidari K, Mohammad-Shafiee G, Jaberifar M, et al. Factors associated with smoking contemplation and maintenance among Iranian adolescents. East Mediterr Health J. 2018;24(8):714-21.
20. Karimi M, Mohamamd K, Rahimiforoushani A, Hosseini M, Mohammadpoorasl A, Nourijelyani K. A multilevel latent class analysis of smoking stages in adolescents and its predictors. Acta Med Iran. 2018 Nov 26:526-34.
21. Nosratabadi M, Halvaiepour Z. The mediating role of emotion regulation in relationship between criticism and cigarette smoking among male adolescents. Int J High Risk Behav Addict. 2018 Jun 30;7(2).
22. Vandenbroucke JP, Von Elm E, Altman DG, Gøtzsche PC, Mulrow CD, Pocock SJ, Poole C, Schlesselman JJ, Egger M, Strobe Initiative. Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE): explanation and elaboration. PLoS Med. 2007 Oct 16;4(10):e297.
23. Alaee R, Kadivar P, Mohammadkhani S, Sarami G, Alaee S. The Prevalence of Tobacco, Hubble-Bubble, Alcoholic Drinks, Drugs, and Stimulants among High-School Students. Research on Addiction. 2011;5(18):99-114.
24. Kelishadi R, Heshmat R, Shahsanai A, Djalalinia S, Motlagh ME, Keikha M, et al. Determinants of Tobacco and Hookah Smoking in a Nationally Representative Sample of Iranian Children and Adolescents: The CASPIAN-IV Study. Iran Red Crescent Med J. 2016; 18(8):e31099.
25. mohammad Bakhshani N. Prevalence of smoking and drug abuse in students of Zahedan high schools. Zahedan Journal of Research in Medical Sciences. 2004;6(1):59-65..
26. Pirdehghan A, Rezaee MP, Mirzababaee B. Epidemiology of substance abuse among Iranian adolescents (Yazd: 2014).
Iran J Psychiatry Behav Sci. 2017;11(4):e3743-.
27. Afarin Rahimi-Movaghar, Mitra Hefazi, Masoumeh Amin-Esmaeili, Elaheh Sahimi-Izadian, Reza Yousefi-Nooraie. Lifetime prevalence of tobacco use among high school students in Iran: a systematic review. Payesh. 2012; 11 (3) :337-349. (Persian).
28. Amin-Esmaeili M, Rahimi-Movaghar MA, Sahimi-Izadian E, Hefazi M, Razaghi EM, Yousefi-Nooraie R. The prevalence of smoking among Iranian middle school students, a systematic review. Iran J Psychiatry. 2007;2(4):157-64.
29. Hibell B, Andersson B, Bjarnason T, Ahlström S, Balakireva O, Kokkevi A, Morgan M. Alcohol and other drug use among students in 35 European countries. The ESPAD Report. 2003;2004. Available at: http://www.espad.org/content/espad-report-2003-alcohool-and-other-drug-use-among-students-35-european-countries
30. Christophi CA, Kolokotroni O, Alpert HR, Warren CW, Jones NR, Demokritou P, et al. Prevalence and social environment of cigarette smoking in Cyprus youth. BMC Public Health. 2008; 8:190.
31. Johnson CA, Palmer PH, Chou CP, Pang Z, Zhou D, Dong L, Xiang H, Yang P, Xu H, Wang J, Fu X. Tobacco use among youth and adults in Mainland China: The China Seven Cities Study. Public Health. 2006; 120:1156-69.
32. Kusumawardani N, Tarigan I, Suparmi, Schlotheuber A. Socio-economic, demographic and geographic correlates of cigarette smoking among Indonesian adolescents: results from the 2013 Indonesian Basic Health Research (RISKESDAS) survey. Glob Health Action. 2018;11(sup1):1467605.
33. East K, Hitchman SC, Bakolis I, Williams S, Cheeseman H, Arnott D, et al. The Association Between Smoking and Electronic Cigarette Use in a Cohort of Young People. J Adolesc Health. 2018;62(5):539-47.
34. Wojtyła-Buciora P, Stawińska-Witoszyńska B, Żukiewicz-Sobczak W, Wojtyła C, Biliński P, Urbaniak M, et al. Trends in smoking among secondary school and high school students in Poland, 2009 and 2011. Int J Occup Med Environ Health. 2017;30(5):763-73.
35. Mehrabi S, Delavari A, Moradi G, Esmailnasab E N, Pooladi A, Alikhani S et al . Smoking among 15-to 64-Year-Old Iranian People in 2005. irje. 2007; 3 (1 and 2) :1-9
36. Jawad M, Power G. Prevalence, correlates and patterns of waterpipe smoking among secondary school students in southeast London: a cross-sectional study. BMC Public Health. 2016;16:108.
37. Lim KH, Lim HL, Teh CH, Kee CC, Khoo YY, Ganapathy SS, et al. Smoking among school-going adolescents in selected secondary schools in Peninsular Malaysia- findings from the Malaysian Adolescent Health Risk Behaviour (MyaHRB) study. Tob Induc Dis. 2017; 15:9.
38. Aarø L, Mazur J, Zatoński W, Samdal O. Trends in smoking among Polish and Norwegian youth 1986-2014. J Health Inequal. 2016;2(1):44-51.
39. Page RM, Dennis M, Lindsay GB, Merrill RM. Psychosocial Distress and Substance Use Among Adolescents in Four Countries: Philippines, China, Chile, and Namibia. Youth Soc. 2011;43(3):900-30.
40. Mackay J, Eriksen M, Eriksen MP. The tobacco atlas. World Health Organization; 2002. Pages:22-39
41. Steeger CM, Epstein M, Hill KG, Kristman-Valente AN, Bailey JA, Lee JO, Kosterman R. Time-varying effects of family smoking and family management on adolescent daily smoking: The moderating roles of behavioral disinhibition and anxiety. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2019; 204:107572.
42. Sarchielli P, Di Filippo M, Nardi K, Calabresi P. Sensitization, glutamate, and the link between migraine and fibromyalgia. Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2007;11(5):343-51.
43. Gharlipour Z, Hazavehei S, Moeini B, Nazari M, Beigi A, Tavassoli E, Heydarabadi A, Reisi M, Barkati H. The effect of preventive educational program in cigarette smoking: Extended Parallel Process Model. J Educ Health Promot. 2015;4.
44. Ahmadi J, Hasani M. Prevalence of substance use among Iranian high school students. Addict Behav. 2003;28(2):375-9.
45. Ahmadi J, Alishahi M, Alavi M. Substance use disorders in a sample of Iranian secondary school students. Soc Indic Res. 2004 Feb;65(3):355-60.
46. Mohammad-Alizadeh-Charandabi S, Mirghafourvand M, Tavananezhad N, Karkhaneh M. Prevalence of cigarette and water pipe smoking and their predictors among Iranian adolescents. Int J Adolesc Med Health. 2015;27(3):291-8.
47. Anbarlouei M, Sarbakhsh P, Dadashzadeh H, Ghiasi A, Ataieasl M, Dorosti A, et al. Cigarette and hookah smoking and their relationship with self-esteem and communication skills among high school students. Health Promot Perspect. 2018;8(3):230-6.
48. Alireza Ayatollahi S, Mohammadpoorasl A, Rajaeifard A. Predicting the stages of smoking acquisition in the male students of Shiraz's high schools, 2003. Nicotine Tob Res. 2005;7(6):845-51.
49. Bidel Z, Nazarzadeh M, SaburMohamadi M. Smoking stages, prevalence of drug abuse and role of associated psychological and social factors: a study on male high school students in Ilam city. JKMU. 2014;21(1).
50. Farshidi H, Aghamolaei T, Hosseini Z, Ghanbar Nejad A, Hosseini F A. Cigarette Smoking Based on Prototype Willingness Model in Male High School Students, Int J High Risk Behav Addict. 2018 ; 7(1):e63209.
51. Ghavidel N, Samadi M, Kharmanbiz A, Asadi A, Feyzi A, Ahmadi R, Abedini M, Hosseini F. Investigation of substance use prevalence and the interrelated factors involved through third-year high school students in Nazarabad city from January 2008 to June 2008. RJMS. 2012;19(97):28-36.
52. Habib E, Shiraz AS, Naseri-Kouzehgarani G, Hooman S, Reza MM. The determinants of high school students smoking habits with special focus on teachers smoking in Iran: a population based study. Pneumologia. 2012;61(1):28-33.
53. Habibi M, Besharat M-A, Ferrer-Wreder L. A Comp Active Study of Smoking Prevention Indexes and Effect of Individual, Family, and Peers Risk Factors in Adolescent's Smoking: Smoker and Non-Smoker High School Students. Social Psychology Research. 2011;1(4):19-44.
54. Heydari Gr, Sharifi H, Hosseini M, Masjedi Mr. The effect of family on cigarette consumption of high school students in Tehran-2003. Pejouhandeh. 2005;9(5):253-256.
55. Heydari G, Sharifi H, Hosseini M, Masjedi MR. Prevalence of smoking among high-school students of Tehran in 2003. East Mediterr Health J. 2007;13(5):1017-21.
56. Jamshidi F, Nazari N, Seyedian S, Mogahi S, Nabipour A, Dadgarinejad A, et al. Prevalence of smoking and related factors among high school students in Ahvaz city, Iran. Asian J Pharm. 2018;12(3):S1094-S9.
57. Karimi M, Kaveh MH, Morowatisharifabad MA, Dehghani A, Dastjerdi G. Cigarette Smoking Experience and its related Socio-demographic and Environmental Risk Factors in High School Boy Students, Shiraz-Iran. IJP. 2017;5(2):4263-74.
58. Karimy M, Niknami S, Heidarnia AR, Hajizadeh I, Montazeri A. Prevalence and determinants of male adolescents' smoking in iran: an explanation based on the theory of planned behavior. Iran Red Crescent Med J. 2013;15(3):187-93.
59. Kelishadi R, Ardalan G, Gheiratmand R, Majdzadeh R, Delavari A, Heshmat R, et al. Smoking behavior and its influencing factors in a national-representative sample of Iranian adolescents: CASPIAN study. Prev Med. 2006;42(6):423-6.
60. Khajehdaluee M, Zavar A, Alidoust M, Pourandi R. Smoking among high school students of an area with medium socioeconomic status. J Pak Med Assoc. 2014;64(3):291-5.
61. Meysamie A, Mahdiin Z, Seddigh L. Frequency of tobacco use among students in Tehran city. Tehran Univ Med J. 2015; 73 (7) :515-526
62. Moeini B, Poorolajal J, Gharghani ZG. Prevalence of cigarette smoking and associated risk factors among adolescents in Hamadan City, west of Iran in 2010. J Res Health Sci. 2012;12(1):31-7.
63. Moghimbeigi A, Eshraghian MR, Mohammad K, Nourijelyani K, Husseini M. Determinants number of cigarette smoked with Iranian adolescents: A multilevel zero inflated poisson regression model. Iran J Public Health. 2009;38(4):91-6.
64. Fereshteh M, Zakarianejad M, Valizadeh F. Determinants of smoking behavior among male high school students in Babolsar, Iran. J Mazandaran Univ Med Sci. 2014;24(116):216-22.
65. Mohammadi S, Ghajari H, Valizade R, Ghaderi N, Yousefi F, Taymoori P, et al. Predictors of Smoking among the Secondary High School Boy Students Based on the Health Belief Model. Int J Prev Med. 2017;8:24.
66. Mohammadpoorasl A, Nedjat S, Fakhari A, Yazdani K, Foroushani AR, Fotouhi A. Substance abuse in high school students in association with socio-demographic variables in northwest of iran. Iran J Public Health. 2012;41(12):40-6.
67. Mohammadpoorasl A, Nedjat S, Fakhari A, Yazdani K, Fotouhi A. Predictors of transition in smoking stages in Iranian adolescents: latent transition analysis. East Mediterr Health J. 2014;20(5):330-9.
68. Mohtasham Amiri Z, Cirus Bakht S, NikRavesh Rad S. Cigarette Smoking Among Male High School Students in Rasht. jour guilan uni med sci. 2008; 17 (65) :100-107
69. A. Mojahed ,NM. Bakhshani , [Prevalence of smoking and drug abuse in students of Zahedan high schools], J. Zahedan Univ. Med. Sci. Health Serv. 2004; 6 (1): 59-65.
70. Namakin K, Sharifzadeh G, Miri M. Prevalence of cigarette smoking and evaluation of attitude and knowledge in its high school boys in Birjand, 2005 . J Birjand Univ Med Sci.. 2008; 15 (1)
71. Nazarzadeh M, Bidel Z, Ayubi E, Bahrami A, Tezval J, Rahimi M, Jafari F. A survey of smoking prevalence and related risk factors among Zanjan students in 2011-2012. J Adv Med Biomed Res. 2013;21(84):111-24.
72. Nazarzadeh M, Bidel Z, Ayubi E, Bahrami A, Jafari F, Mohammadpoorasl A, et al. Smoking status in Iranian male adolescents: a cross-sectional study and a meta-analysis. Addict Behav. 2013;38(6):2214-8.
73. Pasharoush l, Khoushbou s, Rezaei M, Saeidi Mr. Frequency and related factors of smoking in high school girls in Kermanshah (2004). Behbood J. 2010; 13 (4): 309-319.
74. Pirdehghan A, Vakili M, Arab M, Aghakoochak A. Smoking frequency and modeling the underlying predicting factors of tobacco smoking among high school students in Yazd city, 2012. JSUMS. 2014;16.
75. Poureslami M. Assessment of beliefs about cigarette smoking in middle school students in Tehran: Implications for intervention. Arch Iran Med. 2003;6(2):95-102.
76. Rahmanian K JA, Khaloui A. Determinants of Cigarette Smoking in High School Students in Jahrom. Faculty of Paramedical Sciences, Tehran University of Medical Sciences. 2007(4):88-96.
77. Rakhshani F, Abdolatif E, Charkazi A, Haftsavar M, Shahnazi H, Jan Ea. Effect of education on smoking prevention in students of Zahedan. Journal of health system research. 2010. 6 (2):267-275.
78. Ramezankhani A, Zaboli FS, Zarghi A, Masjedi MR, Heydari GR. Smoking habits of adolescent students in Tehran. Tanaffos. 2010; 9 (2): 33-42.
79. Ramezan Khani A, Sarbandi zaboli F, Zarghi A, Heydari Gr, Masjedi Mr. Pattern of cigarette smoking in adolescent students in Tehran. Pejouhandeh. 2010;15(3).
80. Rezaei F, Noroozi M, Mansourian M, Safari O, Jahangiry L. The role of social and familial factors as predicting factors related to hookah and cigarette smoking among adolescents in Jahrom, South of Iran. Int J Pediatr. 2017;5(5):4929-37.
81. Roohafza H, Heidari K, Alinia T, Omidi R, Sadeghi M, Andalib E, et al. Smoking motivators are different among cigarette and waterpipe smokers: The results of ITUPP. J Epidemiol Glob Health. 2015;5(3):249-58.
82. Sarraf-Zadegan N, Boshtam M, Shahrokhi S, Naderi GA, Asgary S, Shahparian M, et al. Tobacco use among Iranian men, women and adolescents. Eur J Public Health. 2004;14(1):76-8.
83. Javadzade H, Shahnazi H, Sharifirad Gh, Reisi M, Tavassoli E. The Status of Knowledge and Belief of Pre-University Male Students in Isfahan, Iran, on Smoking and Its Harmful Effects and the Prevalence of Smoking among Them. J Health Syst Res 2013; 9(6): 587-93.
84. 85. Zia aldini Sh, Kheradmand A, Nakhaei N, Taherzadeh H. Prevalence of cigarette smoking and relevant factors among school students in south of Iran. journal of fundamentals of mental health. 2008;10(3).39.
|Issue||Vol 16 No 2 (2021)|
|Cigarette Iran Meta-Analysis Prevalence Students Systematic Review|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|